Search This Blog

Friday, October 9, 2020

"The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas"

This movie would have been good if it wasn't a musical. Many of the numbers took me out of the movie from the Aggies number to the Governor dodging reporters. Otherwise, it was a cute movie.
This is my first movie starring Burt Reynolds (*gasps* I know). I'm sure many first time viewers at the time were as surprised as I was to see Smokey carry a tune.
This is also the first time I saw Dom DeLuise's ugly face. I knew him from voice roles in several Don Bluth movies, An American Tail, The Secret of NIMH, and All Dogs Go to Heaven.
I'm having a hard time understanding that the Chicken Ranch was still functioning in the early eighties. I understand prostitution was harder to catch at the time, but Miss Mona's girls weren't going nowhere. And what's worse, the sheriff does nothing about the illegal prostitution. Hell, he's engaged in a hot relationship with the madam. But it only took some schmuck from New Jersey to stick his nose into the Texas institution. Of all the dirty laundry Ed Earl hung up about Melvin P. Thorpe, cheap toupee, sock in his underwear, how come his place of origin never came up to show that this Texas lover is a fraud?
The governor brings up a recent memory of our real government where our leader constantly avoids his job that he was voted in for. Sometimes I wish we were a parliament instead of a congress. The British Parliament has the vote of no confidence. House of Lords vote the Prime Minister out simple as that. No trial, no bullsh*t. However, at the same time it's probably a good thing we don't have the vote of no confidence because then we'd have a revolving door of Presidents.
Despite all this, I'm disappointed that the Chicken Ranch closed for good, and all they did about it was Ed Earl and Miss Mona got married. That's it. There's two hours I'll never get back.
If it was the best, why did they close it? Melvin P. Thorpe's message is that prostitution is illegal and immoral. Wait until he finds out in 15 years that Tony Soprano is running a brothel in his home state of New Jersey. Yes, it's a strip club, but he uses those girls as an influence to his clients.

Click image to view URL.

I hope you liked this. Be sure to subscribe and leave a comment about what you thought or if you want to recommend a movie or TV show for me to review. Thank you for reading. I'll return next week with another movie. See you then.

Released On: July 23, 1982
Rating: R
Stars: Burt Reynolds, Dolly Parton, Dom DeLuise, Charles Durning, Jim Nabors
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 56%
IMDb Score: 6.0/10

Awards
Academy Awards

  • Best Supporting Actor (Charles Durning) - Nominated

Golden Globe Awards

  • Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy) - Nominated
  • Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy) (Dolly Parton) - Nominated


No comments:

Post a Comment