Search This Blog

Sunday, February 9, 2020

"Bombshell" (2019)

With the humor of I, Tonya and the wit of The Big Short, Bombshell comes barreling in with another dark chapter in American history, one that we all know too well. And that is where I think the problem is.
First of all, I want to point out that actions depicted in the movie are appalling, and the stories this movie is based on are harsh and frightening. As a man, I am ashamed to be associated with monsters like Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly. This makes me want to retreat into my home and hide until I die.
But the problem, I think, is that this story is too soon. I'm a man, so of course a man would say that. I don't mean that it is too soon in terms of the Me Too movement. I mean it is too soon in terms that much of the entertainment industry and other professions around the world were hit with confirmations of sexual allegations. In the U.S. alone, Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, Jeremy Piven, Casey Affleck, Danny Masterson, Louis C. K., Neil deGrasse Tyson, Morgan Freeman, R. Kelly, Tom Brokaw, James Franco, Aziz Ansari, Tavis Smiley, Mario Batali. John Lasseter, Brett Ratner, Steven Seagal, Oliver Stone, Senator Al Franken, President Donald Trump, and many more were accused and/or convicted of some form of sexual harassment and assault. It makes me afraid of being able to say "hi" to a woman.
The point I'm making is that the wound is still fresh. I guess our ego is hurt as a species because as a whole, we men never really think how bad the situation is. When Bill Cosby came down the allegations, it's an example of one rotten apple. Then the news broke out about Harvey Weinstein, and we are introduced to the rotten bunch. The few remaining men, that haven't yet been accused, have agreed that Time's Up. I honestly think that time should have been up a long time ago. But during all this we gentleman, who knew better than to force women on their knees and blow us, fear which one of us is next. Who, especially among the supporters of Me Too and Time's Up, is still lurking in the shadows still grabbing women inappropriately?
With that aside, let's get back to the movie. While the movie isn't anything new now, it is without a doubt going to be a shock in the future, and I hope many more films will follow in its footsteps. I could tell it was going for shock value, like All the President's Men in 1976. In a way, this film is our generation's All the President's Men.
The one problem I did have was that the trailer made it seem like the three women, Megyn Kelly, Gretchen Carlson, and Kayla Pospisil, were teaming up to bringing down Roger Ailes, but they don't really spend any time together. Their one scene together was in the elevator when Gretchen was getting fired and Kayla was getting harassed. The three women did interact individually, Megyn and Kayla, Kayla and Gretchen, and...actually Gretchen and Megyn don't interact at all. I understand it's more along the lines that their individual stories intertwine together at Fox News, but I was convinced that this was a team-up movie.
I don't mean to play the man card once again, but John Lithgow was unfairly snubbed playing a fat pervert with a serious case of paranoia. But maybe it's probably for the best that he is spared from being awarded for playing a sociopath (Attn: Joaquin Phoenix, Adam Driver, Leonardo DiCaprio, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, Brad Pitt).

Click image to view URL.

I hope you liked this. Be sure to subscribe and leave a comment about what you thought or if you want to recommend a movie for me to review. Thank you for reading. I'll return next week with another movie. See you then.

Released On: December 13, 2019
Rating: R
Stars: Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman, Margot Robbie, John Lithgow, Kate McKinnon, Connie Britton, Malcolm McDowell, Allison Janney
Director: Jay Roach
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 70%
IMDb Score: 6.8/10

Awards

Golden Globe Awards

  • Best Actress Motion Picture Drama Charlize Theron - Nominated
  • Best Supporting Actress Motion Picture Margot Robbie - Nominated 

Academy Awards

  • Best Actress Charlize Theron - Nominated 
  • Best Supporting Actress Margot Robbie - Nominated 
  • Best Makeup and Hairstyling Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan & Vivian Baker - Winner 

(Click here to view more awards for "Bombshell".)

No comments:

Post a Comment