Search This Blog

Friday, January 17, 2020

"Little Women" (2019)

It's a damn shame that Greta Gerwig was snubbed for Best Director at the Oscars. This was a beautiful film by everyone involved. It will be a tough competition with people like Alexandre Desplat* for Score, Jacqueline Durran** for Costumes, Greta for Screenplay.
The one part I found weird about the film was in the beginning while Jo was running through the streets, and all of the sudden it cuts to a title card of a book cover displaying the movie's title. It was a weird transition, I'm thinking it was a error made by the theater I watched it in. Also, the book was so off center that it might give Wes Anderson a brain tumor.
I never read the book, so I was confused at first by how much it transitions from memories to the present day. The filters helped with that, but I can't tell if Jo already wrote the story, or we are watching it being written in real time. It was obvious that the filmmakers played the "character writes the story they are currently in" card as it was played in which Jo wrote the story. I will have to read the book to see if it was written the same way or if it's a choice Greta made in writing the screenplay.
Laurie was so whiny that he reminds me of Mr. Darcy in Pride & Prejudice. And the fact that all the girls were in love with him was rather frightening. I knew he was going to break some hearts by the end. Well, just one: Beth died, Megan married someone else, and Amy's the one that won his heart. Jo waited too long.
Seeing the girls having such a tight bond reminds me of Steel Magnolias. I know that story is a memoir, but I wonder if the author channeled this story in his own.
I didn't like how Meryl Streep's name was on the poster despite being in the film for perhaps only 30 minutes of run time. At least it was more screen time than in Mamma Mia! 2.
All the best goes to this film and its six nominations. I can't wait to see what happens.

Click image to view URL.

I hope you liked this. Be sure to subscribe and leave a comment about what you thought or if you want to recommend a movie for me to review. Thank you for reading. I'll return next week with another movie. See you then.

*Academy Award Best Original Score - 2 Wins (The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Shape of Water), 8 Nominations (The Queen, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The King's Speech, Argo, Philomena, The Imitation Game, Isle of Dogs)
**Academy Award Best Costume Design 1 Win (Anna Karenina), 4 Nominations (Pride & Prejudice, Atonement, Mr. Turner, Beauty and the Beast, Darkest Hour)

Released On: December 25, 2019
Rating: PG
Stars: Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Florence Pugh, Eliza Scanlan, Laura Dern, Timothee Chalamet, Meryl Streep, Tracy Letts, Bob Odenkirk, James Norton, Louis Garrel, Chris Cooper
Director: Greta Gerwig
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 95% Certified Fresh
IMDb Score: 8.3/10

Awards
Golden Globe Awards
  • Best Actress in a Motion Picture Drama Saoirse Ronan - Nominated
  • Best Original Score Alexandre Desplat - Nominated
Academy Awards
  • Best Picture - Nominated 
  • Best Actress Saoirse Ronan - Nominated 
  • Best Supporting Actress Florence Pugh - Nominated 
  • Best Costume Design Jacqueline Durran - Winner 
  • Best Original Score Alexandre Desplat - Nominated 
  • Best Adapted Screenplay Greta Gerwig - Nominated 




No comments:

Post a Comment