Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

"How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World"

Before we begin, check out my post on How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World on my other blog, Before I Go See It.
Now, on with the show.

I have mixed emotions with this movie. I loved this franchise when it came to theaters ten years ago, and it is sad to see it go. But at the same time, it is a good thing that it is ending. While it was fun to soar with Hiccup and Toothless, it is time for their journey to end.
But I still have questions. There are flashbacks throughout the movie where Hiccup remembers talking with his father. During one in the beginning, Stoick talks of a hidden world where dragons come from. Putting that into perspective, was the nest the hidden world he was looking for in the first film, or was the nest just a stepping stone?
How come no one has heard of Grimmel before this movie. In the first film, Hiccup says that no one has killed a Night Fury. Grimmel is a renown Night Fury killer. Grimmel mentions that Berk has enemies in the East and South, so that means there are other viking civilizations. Word has seriously not gotten around about this guy? Really? Everyone knows about Hiccup and his flying pet dragon, so what the heck?
Astrid has probably the worst character development of all the characters, which sucks because she is a bad ass. She starts the franchise as a tough girl determined to fulfill her destiny and join the dragon wars who softens up when Hiccup shows her how dragons aren't all that evil. Then that's it. She only says what needs to be heard in order to move the plot along.
Through it all, I enjoyed this film. The characters are all still fun. Even though I hate Kristen Wiig, her performance as Ruffnut is my favorite of hers. Toothless flying with Light Fury reminds me of WALL-E and EVE flying near the Axiom. And those baby Night Furies are adorable. Move over, Baby Yoda, I want one.
Click image to view URL.

I hope you liked this. Be sure to subscribe and leave a comment about what you thought or if you want to recommend a movie for me to review. Thank you for reading. I'll return next week with another movie. See you then.

Released On: February 22, 2019
Rating: PG
Stars: Jay Barachel, America Ferrera, Cate Blanchett, Craig Ferguson, Jonah Hill, Kit Harington, F. Murray Abraham
Director: Dean DeBlois
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 90% Certified Fresh
IMDb Score: 7.5/10

Awards
Golden Globe Awards

  • Best Animated Feature Film - Nominated

Academy Awards

  • Best Animated Film - Nominated

No comments:

Post a Comment