Search This Blog

Monday, July 8, 2019

"Stranger Things 3"

My eighties nostalgia is starting to wear thin as I'm picking up NINETIES references. We are five years away from Twin Peaks premiering on ABC. We are seven years away from Alien 3 hitting the theaters. We are thirteen years away from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone hitting the shelves in the US.
I felt that this season had excellent momentum, filled with humor and suspense, but then it kind of fell flat at the very end, mostly because of little things I didn't like. For one, I didn't like how dumb Mike is becoming. His now rocky relationship with Eleven was hilarious throughout the season, but then he really didn't patch things up with her in my opinion. In one angry rant, he admits that he loves her, but she was out of the room. Later she asked him about that day, and he was like "Oh that was soooooo long ago." What the hell are you doing? She wants to hear you say it, you little sh*t. <Sighs> Max is right; there's more to life than just stupid boys.
I really don't think anyone saw Hopper's fate coming at all. I loved how he starts the season watching Magnum, P. I., and then he becomes Magnum, P. I. searching for clues to Mayor Kline's behavior, which includes sporting a Hawaiian shirt and commandeering a convertible. Over the course of the season, I kept thinking that he would allow Mike to take Eleven on a real date. In fact, I imagined that the entire party would like to go mini golfing. Mike would hang out with Eleven, Lucas and Max would team up, Dustin and Will would fly solo together, and then they would peak around the corner and find Joyce and Hopper making out. Well, I guess that will never happen.
Dustin and his Mormon girlfriend absolutely adorable together. I don't care if that was a nostalgia trap, that was awesome. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder if Dustin's love would become the new center of the story. He and Erica, Lucas' sassy little sister, really bounced off one another, especially when he discovers that she is a nerd just like the rest of them. And that My Little Pony thing? I'm not sure if it really was meant to describe fans in the eighties or fans of today, but I was like DAMN!
Seeing Billy make the ultimate sacrifice was kind of heartbreaking because we never really get to see him be a good guy. He says sorry to Max in the end but that was all that he could say. I wonder how Max was able to explain this to her parents.
Steve and his new friend Robin were actually cute, but sadly, it was never meant to be. When Robin said that she was not like any other Steve ever dated, I wondered if she had a tiny room covered wall to wall with pictures of Steve because she said she was obsessed with him. But she was obsessed because she was jealous that a girl, SHE liked, liked Steve. I felt a little sad because that was strike three for Steve Harrington getting a girl. Like many of you, I really hated Steve in Season One. Fighting the Demogorgon wasn't redeemable. He was kind of cool in Season Two, but I still haven't forgiven him for being such a douchebag. This season kind of explains everything. He represents a popular kid realizing that once high school is over you're not that popular anymore. In fact, some of the ladies were probably thinking that he was kind of a schmuck for not going to college. They're like how sad. Heehee.
The villains in this season were kind of cartoonish, and it really pisses me off. I've seen Red Dawn, which they reference, and it pisses me off that Russians think they could come into our country that easily and stay. In real life, the US military would blow Hawkins off the f*cking map. The Mind Flayer was kind of whatever, but I was kind of bummed that Nancy wasn't able to prove her worth in finishing the story about the rabid rats and missing fertilizer. That was mostly because of half the staff becomes drones for the Mind Flayer before being sucked into one massive being. You know, I'm starting to realize that this has Men in Black written all over it. The people of Hawkins don't seem to realize that they are a hub of paranormal activity. They're like "Will disappeared in the woods. That guy killed my crops. The mayor stole my job."
Overall, this season was fun, but I kind of want it to end. I want Mike and Eleven to work their crap out, I want the party to stay together like rama lama lama ka dinga da dinga dong, I want to Joyce to find happiness, and I want people to stop interfering with the Upside Down.

I hoped you guys liked this. I've missed doing this, this was fun. I'll be back in a few weeks with more reviews, but for now, enjoy your summer. Remember to subscribe and leave a comment of what you would like for me to review next.

Click image to view URL.

Released On: July 4, 2019
Rating TV-14
Stars: Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Finn Wolfhard, Millie Bobby Brown, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, Noah Schnapp, Saide Sink, Natalia Dyer, Charlie Heaton, Joe Keery, Dacre Montgomery, Cara Buono, Maya Hawke
Directors: The Duffer Brothers, Shawn Levy, Uta Briesewitz
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 90% Certified
IMDb Score: 9.1/10 (Average)

Awards
Primetime Emmy Awards
  • Outstanding Drama Series - Nominated
Creative Primetime Emmy Awards
  • Outstanding Interactive Extension of a Linear Program (Scoops Ahoy: Operation Scoop Snoop) - Nominated
  • Outstanding Music Supervision (Nora Felder) - Nominated
  • Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Drama Series (Dean Zimmerman and Kathryn Naranjo) - Nominated
  • Outstanding Sound Editing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One Hour) (Craig Henighan, William Files, Ryan Cole, Kerry Dean Williams, Angelo Palazzo, Katie Halliday, David Klotz and Steve Baine) - Winner
  • Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One Hour) (Michael Rayle, Mark Paterson, William Files and Craig Henighan) - Nominated
  • Outstanding Special Visual Effects (Paul Graff, Gayle Busby, Tom Ford, Michael Maher Jr., Martin Pelletier, Berter Orpak, Yvon Jardel, Nathan Arbuckle and Caius Man) - Nominated
  • Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Limited Series or Movie (Hiro Koda) - Nominated

No comments:

Post a Comment