Search This Blog

Monday, December 24, 2018

"The Christmas Chronicles"

Let me just say, Santa Kurt is in the wrong movie. Filled with a plethora of movie tropes of Christmas movies past, especially with ties to producer Chris Columbus' Home Alone, this movie is filled with laughable moments. Not because it was funny, but because of how ridiculous it is.
Chevy Chase Jr. was killed in action, and his children suffer spending Christmas alone when Mom is called away to the hospital. The worst little girl in Christmas movie history teams up with her GTA brother in capturing Santa on film. When their antics crash the sleigh, it's up to them to set things right and get Santa on his feet again.
Unfortunately, no one else is willing to help Santa, and he gets picked up by the Chicago Police. He manages to get away by whipping out two guitars for a couple fellow inmates and had three prostitutes as his backup singers. He got an officer to get back with his ex-wife, and the officer let him go.
The Worst Girl seeks help from Santa's elves but gets tied up for a couple because minutes Netflix has time for this. GTA there had written a letter asking Santa to see his dad again. Netflix had for Worst Girl to go snooping as well. Meanwhile, GTA gets picked by some thugs who almost threw Santa's sack in the boiler. GTA risked his life to save the magic sack and fought back with the help of the elves.
Santa, Worst Girl, and GTA rush across North America to deliver the last of the gifts before the sun comes up, or else they will be the people who brought on the Christmas Meltdown on 2018 (actually that goes to the President). THAT'S IT!
I feel gipped by the trailer. It raised too much hype for what I actually saw. I wouldn't be surprised to find this on the Lifetime or Hallmark channels. Worst Girl can't seem to get a grip because she almost fell off Comet, and she straight up fell from the sleigh, thus setting off the chain reaction of the shenanigans.
In 2018, why are they still filming with a video camera? I have one just like it; it's dead. By 2014, everyone was filming on their phones and sharing on Instagram, Vine, Snapchat, and whatever else. Watching the old tapes is fine, but why didn't they get those tapes developed onto a disc or a thumb drive? Can't find a Fotohut in Massachusetts?
I haven't been able to count the nonbelievers in Christmas movies since Miracle on 34th Street, but I hit the ceiling with this movie. I am tired of people thinking Santa is some drunk old man who has the dirt on literally everyone. Put that trope to bed. Enough! STOP! I had to gather enough strength to not punch the TV and grab those imaginary characters by the collars and shake them until I'm tired. I'm tired of this. Any new Christmas movie involving Santa getting incarcerated for being Santa, throw that screenplay in the trash.
The screenwriter saw that Columbus was to be the director and thought "How can I put Home Alone in this?" and had Wendy pour the icy water on the floor for the Charger thief to slip on it. Then, he went on a movie binge and pluck moments from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Polar Express, Arthur Christmas, Rise of the Guardians, and The Santa Clause.
Just a tip. Skip this one when you're browsing on Netflix this Christmas and turn on Elf, It's a Wonderful Life, The Polar Express, Love Actually (yeah, I said it), Die Hard (yeah, I totally said it), or whatever you like.
Click image to view URL.

I hope you liked this. Be sure to subscribe and leave a comment about what you thought or if you want to recommend a movie for me to review. Thank you for reading. I'll return on Friday with another movie. See you then.

Special Update! Starting in the new year, I will be writing a new blog series called "Before I Go See It." It is where I will be giving my thoughts on upcoming movies before they hit the theaters, based on their trailers. It'll be like this, but you get a taste before you go see the movie. Once up, I will share a link on this blog as well as share a link on social media. Thank you, and have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Whatever Doesn't Offend You.

Released On: November 22, 2018
Rating: TV-PG
Stars: Kurt Russell, Darby Camp, Judah Lewis
Director: Clay Kaytis
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 71%
IMDb Score: 7.2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment